Do you like tacos?
I know. I know.
As if that’s really a question.
Of course you do. How could you not?!
I present you Lemon-Zest Mushroom Tacos.
Before rolling your eyes, hear me out.
I’ve been using Chef John’s recipe for meatless meatballs lately and they are sooo delicious. The texture is so meat-like that my fiancé asks for them often.
I have also used that same recipe to make veggie burgers. Same deal. So I figured it would receive similar results by adapting his recipe for tacos.
I’ve done Roasted Vegetable Tacos, which were tasty, but there’s something about getting close to the real stuff. You know, the ones that drip down your hand and you lick it up without even caring.
They were that good.
I didn’t even need cheese, which is a big deal because I love cheese. The tacos had some heat and spice from the taco seasoning. The simple carrot and red cabbage slaw tossed in a simple oil and lemon juice combo added some zing that was refreshing and unexpected. The sliced avocado added a creaminess that tamed the heat adding another dimension.
I had to call my fiancé to tell him to hurry home before I ate them all. He even asked for them again five minutes after he ate his last bite.
Trust me, these don’t disappoint. Unless of course, you and the person you’re cooking for eat more than two tacos. Then you might want to double (or triple) this recipe. No judgment. I will be doing that the next time around.
– 1 pack of mushrooms
– 1/4 of chopped white onion
– 1/4 cup of dried oatmeal
– 1/4 cup of bread crumbs
– 1/2 pack of taco season
– 1 red cabbage sliced thinly
– 1 spiralized carrot
– 1/4 cup of EVOO
– 2 lemon wedges
– 1 pinch of sea salt
– 1 sliced avocado
– 4 warmed tortillas
1. Finely chop up the entire pack of mushrooms into bite sized pieces.
2. Chop up the onion and saute it in the EVOO and mix with mushroom pieces once browned.
3. Add the oatmeal to mixture until well blended.
4. Then add in bread crumbs.
5. Then add in the taco seasoning pack.
6. Use a spiralizer to turn the carrot into long strands. You can also finely chop it if you don’t have one.
7. Cut off a couple rings of the red cabbage. Then mix with carrot and toss in olive oil and lemon juice using one lemon wedge with a pinch of sea salt.
8. Chop avocado and build your tacos beginning with the mushroom mixture.
9. Use the other lemon wedge to zest over your tacos.